9.27.2017

Reid Warren, 16 months

The days have been racing by lately! I completely attribute that to Reid, who gets faster and faster every day. About the only thing he does slowly is waking up-- lots of murmuring to himself and sitting up, then laying down, then sitting up again--but once he's thrown his paci on the ground and wants to get out, he is full speed ahead! For the past few days I've caught him trying to climb out of his crib and thankfully he can't (yet) but we have a video monitor on him for a reason.
 

Just in the last few weeks, Reid's really taken an interest in books. I love this stage! I love how he brings books to me and settles himself in my lap. He's not usually in the mood to read books in their entirety and would rather flip the pages pretty quickly but he has a few favorites that he'll let me read completely. Big Red Barn is a favorite of his. (One bonus of memorizing my kids' books: I can "read" the books to Reid while actually getting something else done. Case in point: trying to get ready this morning, I could "read" the book and put on makeup while he sat at my feet and turned the pages!)


I haven't worn him in a carrier in probably ten months or so, but the other morning he just needed me so much and I needed to get our kitchen clean, so I savored a few minutes of snuggling before he was off and running again.


I think because he's my second child and I continually think of him as a baby, I've kind of forgotten that he's at the age to learn a lot of new things right now! It caught me off guard when we were reading before his nap the other day and I asked him where the dog was in the picture and he found it! So then while changing his diaper, I asked him where his belly was: found it. Nose? Found it. Ears? Yep. And all I can think is, how did you learn this when I haven't actually taught you?! So now I'll be upping my game and actually working on these skills with him. ;)

Reid gets hungry the instant I start meal preparations so I always end up feeding him crackers or something easy while I get our meal ready. This time, a little smoothie saved from breakfast saved the day! He is all about smoothies!

First try feeding himself yogurt resulted in a bath immediately after dinner, but he actually did pretty well! 


Reid really likes dogs (compared to Jake who is terrified!) and he loves to watch the two retrievers who live behind us. Anytime he hears a dog bark, he freezes in place until he can find the dog and then points emphatically at them until I can steer him away. ;) When we pass by dogs at the park, he does the same thing and points and grunts until we've gone pretty far past them. Thankfully he hasn't braved actually petting a dog and I kind of don't want him to, because he'll probably love it and then he'll try to pet all the strange dogs!

Swinging at the park but trying to spot the dog he could hear barking!


Head first down the tunnel, the slide...anything that will give me a heart attack.


Oh, and he managed to climb onto the kitchen chair the other day, so now I get to watch out for that little trick too. ;)


He's going through that "love of shoes" phase right now and constantly tries to wear Jake's shoes. He'll get them on but then get so frustrated when he can't move around in them. Just today he wanted to wear a new pair of boots I got for Jake for the winter (if this heat wave will ever end...). So I put them on his feet, zipped them up and he klonked around for a few minutes. But then he got tired of wearing them and tried to kick them off but because they were zipped up, he couldn't get rid of them. I had to jump in and rescue him before he really got ticked, but his attempts were pretty cute. 


Reid loves to wrestle and climb over anyone who's dared to lay on the ground even for just a second. Jake is thankfully very patient and lets Reid climb on him even if he doesn't want to be climbed on. Reid has a signature move that a friend deemed his "tripod", where he puts his head on the ground and his booty in the air, sometimes even putting his hands up and getting on his tippy toes! He thinks its hysterical and then we all do too.


He loves to dribble balls around the house, and toys too. He kicks anything thats in his way--not like a tantrum, just like everything is a soccer ball and he's surprisingly good at it. Just this afternoon, Jake and Reid passed the ball back and forth between each other for the first time! It was so fun to see and I'm so looking forward to when they can truly play with each other!

No comments:

Post a Comment