12.10.2010

The Grass is Always Greener


I've come to realize that I have a "The grass is always greener" mentality fairly often. I catch myself thinking that "If only I had a (fill in the blank), life would be better..." or "If only I worked at such-and-such, life would be better..." and on and on. I think I've had this mentality for most of my life, but lately I've realized I've got to change my attitude because shoot, life is good right now! So to counteract the If only's, I make myself stop and think of all the things I am grateful for...and its then that I realize there's an awful lot I'm thankful for.

All this to say, I was rereading one of my favorite fictional books: In Search of Eden, by Linda Nichols. I finished it last night and ended up reading all the extra stuff in the back: the discussion questions, note to the reader, etc. (Yes, its that good!) And in the note to the reader, guess what Ms. Nichols discussed?  That never-ending search for perfection (or Eden, hence the title) that we all have. She included this great quote that is such a good reminder to count my many blessings that I'm thinking of painting it and displaying it somewhere in our house. Here's the quote:

"Life can never be fully perfect again...at least not here on this planet and in the sense it originally was...Here and now, life can be perfect only in a new and different sense, in the way of God's freely given grace."
-David Seamands, pastor & author

Such a great reminder that God is the giver of all good things; most importantly, grace for sinners like me. I quickly forget about the perfection that awaits us in heaven, where the grass will most definitely be the brightest green :)

No comments:

Post a Comment