2.06.2012

Write Them on the Door Frames

I started this painting four months ago. I sketched out the verse sometime in September and began painting shortly after. Then, Halloween and Thanksgiving and Christmas barged in, and the painting was forgotten...shoved in the closet of my 'craft room' (or my I-don't-know-what-to-do-with-this-stuff room, whichever way you look at it).

But now, with the holidays over and endless rain outside, the painting is finished! I actually finished it in early January (which was four months, not five) if you're checking my math. I have no earthly idea why paintings take me so long to finish. They're a great, mindless project to do while watching Burn Notice on yet another rainy afternoon. But I tend to start a lot of projects all at the same time, when I really should start and finish one project before starting another.


Oh, and I should mention: During the course of this painting, I started and finished another painting. That second painting even got hung before I finished the first painting. I'll show you that one later. Right now, I think the first painting deserves to go first, since it had to wait for so long. Fair is fair.


In real life, the dark writing is navy blue and the lighter blue is very close to the blue on the wall.

I've decided that displaying Scripture around the house is my way of carrying out this verse..

Love the Lord with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates.
Deuteronomy 6:5-9

I haven't developed the habit of continually thinking about or talking about God's word. Deric and I are getting better at talking about it more often, but I want to get to the point where God's words are on my mind the majority of the day. Seeing His words on a canvas on the wall helps. Some days, I bypass the canvas without a second thought. Other days, the words hope and faithful jump out at me. Its a quick, encouraging reminder that God really is faithful in His promises.
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Way to encourage your family with the Word. Even more impressive is the amount of effort you put into the fonts. I scratch out verses on window frames and hand print canvases without so much as a pencil line to follow. :)

    ReplyDelete