5.26.2012

Sarah Comes to Visit

Sarah decided to grace us with her presence last week-- we got four whole days with her before she headed home to Virginia. We haven't spent that much time together in a while and sadly, probably won't again before she gets married. Her visit lined up with my first official week of summer, which was perfect. We went to the pool, got our fill of Friends, went running one morning and ate dessert every night (its all about balance, folks), and spent a day in Gatlinburg.  I showed her how to make chicken parmesan (a staple in this house), we baked a strawberry pie, and we went to see What to Expect When You're Expecting, since Deric would rather die than sit through a movie like that. ;) In true sister fashion, we ended up in eerily-similar outfits more often than not, and even ended up with "matching" frozen yogurt. We'll blame that on Mom's insistence on matching Christmas-and-major-holidays dresses while growing up.

We also worked on an impromptu house project for the future Netherys: Sarah found a table and chairs for $30 off Craigslist so we hopped in Deric's truck on Monday and drove across the county to pick it up. We set it up in the garage, where we sanded and sanded and sanded some more so that she could at least paint a few coats of primer before she had to leave. The plan is for me to finish it over the summer and store it until Deric and I can visit the newlyweds and deliver their table.

In a lot of ways Sarah's visit was a flashback to when we still lived together and accidentally wore matching sweatshirts to school. She's still the only person who can make me laugh until I cry, but at the same time she's an entirely different person that I have to get to know. Its a matter of reconciling the Sarah that I know from childhood with the current Sarah who's getting married and preparing to teach kindergarten. Its an odd mix of being so familiar with someone and yet not knowing them at all. Make sense? Yeah, me neither. Anyways. Foo, I'm so glad you came to visit! I miss watching Friends with you!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment