lots of lovin' on baby Reid

I've been MIA lately for all the best reasons, like snuggling this cute and teensy guy--and his big brother--and taking plenty of naps whenever I can. While I'm so ready to be able to sleep all night long, I still absolutely love having a baby in the house again! Deric's always preferred the toddler phase but my favorite is definitely this brand new stage. All those cuddles and the way they melt into you because they can't lift up their heads yet! Its the best. 

Reid has had a steady stream of visitors coming to meet him! We've had family in town for more than two weeks now: first Deric's parents, then Sarah and Joel, and finally my parents, who just left yesterday morning. Its been so fun to have family around, plus the extra sets of hands have been so helpful!

Jake and Joel are so much fun to watch together. They're good little buddies and I think that when Joel starts talking, they're probably be best friends! It makes me really excited that Sarah's baby is a boy as well-- being only five months younger than Reid, it'll almost be like having twins around!

Thanks to a dollar bin glowstick (and Pinterest for the idea), the boys loved taking a glow-in-the-dark bath! They were both feeling a little possessive of that glowstick during their bath (and even the next morning when it didn't even glow) as well but they're pretty good at sharing.

Jake warmed up to his Aunt Foo pretty quickly! I came in the living room one afternoon to see both boys fast asleep on her (pregnant) lap--what a good aunt! Sarah told me she'd been holding Reid and Jake came out after his nap, saw them and apparently just laid right down. He slept that way for about ten minutes before he really woke up for the afternoon.

My parents got into town the day before Sarah and Joel went home, and probably ten minutes into their visit Grandad had already taught Joel a new use for pliers. ;)

Each morning, Jake would wake up and beeline into the living room to find Grandad, the only adult awake at such an ungodly hour. Deric and I so enjoyed an extra hour or so of sleep every morning! And Mom had Reid napping like a champ: swaddled, unswaddled, couch, crib, it didn't matter. He got in some solid naps! (And so did I, by extension!)

We decided to enroll Jake in a Mother's Day Out program twice a week for June and July to ease the transition with Reid. We figured he would get some socialization and play time, and I would conversely get some peace and quiet. ;) He loves going to "school" and Reid and I enjoy time to run errands, clean up the house and relax in the mornings.

Packing Jake's lunch the night before his first day--while wearing newborn Reid--just felt crazy. It really was a life-flashing-before-my-eyes kind of experience. Most days I still feel so new to motherhood (and really I still am) but at the same time, I've been a mom for three years now! And even just a month of being a mom of two has been totally different and surreal.

Seeing him in that backpack about kills me every time! He looks so big and so little all at the same time. I'm hoping the backpack will last him through kindergarten but its crazy to think that's even on the radar!

Deric and I enjoyed a rare lunch date--with our little sleeping third wheel-- on the first morning Jake was at school. We need to squeeze in a few more dates before school lets out!

Speaking of dates: since my parents were here for over a week, Deric and I went out twice for dinner. Twice. In a week. That hasn't happened in...ever. Or at least it feels like it. ;) We tried out a new restaurant downtown on our first date night, Babalu. Dinner was delicious but the best part of the date was taking our time coming home since we weren't paying a babysitter! We took our time downtown and then hit up a bookstore and browsed for a while before heading back. It was so nice! We ate at Bonefish Grill the second night we went out. I haven't eaten there since prom in high school but man, those bang bang shrimp are where it's at! We're already planning to go back soon so I can order the shrimp as my entree this time. ;)

I'd been wanting to take Jake to a newly renovated splash pad nearby for a while but its been tricky to get out because its just too hot for Reid to be outside for long. So last week Reid stayed home with Grandma and Jake and I went to the splash pad and then to "the pizza store" for our first little date now that he's a big brother. There were a lot of neat features at the splash pad and I'm excited to take Jake back hopefully sometime soon-- I figure if Deric comes, we can tag team keeping Reid cooled off. We took a break from the fountains just long enough to eat popsicles and then get back into the water. Jake's not a fan of the really big fountains but he found what he was comfortable with and had a ball!

After we dried off somewhat, we split a pizza at our favorite restaurant and got home barely in time to crash for a nap. It was fun to have some one-on-one time with Jake, whose been so patient while I've learned (and am still learning) to balance both boys' needs by myself. Although he does like to tell me pretty frequently that "Mom, you can put Reid in his boppy [pillow] if you want to play with me." Break my heart kid! But unfortunately for you, your brother does have to eat... ;)

While I'm looking forward to figuring out our new routine with two kids, I'm so sad that family has left. Thankfully we'll see both sides of our family again in just a few weeks!

1 comment: