8.28.2011

Untitled, For Now*

I've realized that a blog can provide great accountability. If I share something with the world six readers, I'm more likely to do it. So I've decided that every Sunday, I'm going to share something I took away from church that morning. My hope is that by sharing what I learn, I'll be more intentional about remembering the lesson. What I take away may relate to the sermon or may not. Today, it doesn't really relate. 

*I need help with a title for this series of Sunday posts. Everything I come up with is cheesy. Suggestions welcomed-- no, needed.


We studied Acts 3 this morning and Jason talked about being refreshed by the Lord. The context: Peter and John are asked by a crippled beggar for money. Peter tells the beggar he has no money, but he commands the beggar to walk in Jesus Christ's name. The people watching were amazed by the miracle and came running to Peter, who rebukes them.

What stuck out to me was verses 12 & 13: "Men of Israel, why does this surprise you? Why do you stare at us as if by our own power or godliness we had made this man walk? The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the God of our fathers, has glorified his servant Jesus..."

Jason explained why Peter mentioned this name of God and the significance of that name to the Jews. 'The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob' would make the Jews remember Moses' encounter with the burning bush, when God identifies himself to Moses as (you guessed it) "...the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob". (Exodus 3:6)

By mentioning this particular name of God, Peter is telling the Jews to look past the miracle to the One who is behind the miracle. Look past the burning bush to the God who can create a fire that doesn't consume the bush. Look past the healed cripple to the God who can heal all diseases. God is all-powerful, and we can't forget that.

1 comment:

  1. You could call these posts "Notes in the Margin" . . . it's what you did in your Bible in the picture.

    ReplyDelete