9.23.2011

The First Day of Fall

I'd like to take a moment and congratulate myself on the first time I've ever posted on the same day as the actual event about which I'm posting. (Does that make sense?)  Most posts are about things/events that happened at least a week before, but probably two. Looks who's growing up! ;)


Deric, Chad and I went hiking in the Smoky Mountains today. We planned it about a week ago and then I realized today was the first day of fall, so it was a perfect way to "celebrate" the beginning of fall. It was the perfect weather for hiking-- low 70s and overcast. I made them pick a shorter hike because my 5K is tomorrow and I didn't want to overdo it. So we hiked about a mile up to this waterfall, ate lunch and climbed around on the rocks, then hiked back down.

The view during lunch.

Looking away from the waterfall. 



Deric and Chad somehow managed to get to the top of the waterfall and no, they didn't climb the actual falls. But they were discussing how Bear Grylls could probably climb up the falls with just a paperclip.


A closer look at the "conquistador" pose they're striking. 




In honor of The Office premier last night...it killed me. :)



I doubt anyone else cares, but I thought these steps were genius. Its just a log that's been carved into steps, but I thought it was so smart. And it beat having to climb up some serious rocks next to it.


Deric's snake, Rocky Balboa Constrictor.
(I'm still laughing at the name...don't lie, you are too.)


The first tree we saw that had completely changed colors! Bring on fall!


And now I'm off to bed. I'm running my first 5K in the morning! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment